Monday, May 9, 2011

3 pass reset


Hi, I’m a youth coach in Watertown seeking the three pass rule for clarity. My U-15 team understands the three pass rule. My question is this… During a game yesterday the opposing team was chased back across the fifty yard line. When this occurs I am of the understanding the pass count should “reset” to zero and begin again, is this true? I have searched the rule book prior to asking and could not find a place to begin?


My best,


Tim Flynn


The three pass rule starts with a goalie clear before the 50 yard line, therefore any passes on the field of play count for the total passes whether they pass the 50 or retreat as long as they have possession. If the attacking team looses possession but regains possession before the opponent takes it across the 50, the pass count remains. The pass count resets only when the defense clears the ball bast the 50 while in their possession.