Monday, May 9, 2011

Detaining penalty



It my 3rd and 4th grade girls yesterday we were called 5-6 times for detaining. The girls were playing defense on a girls did not come in any contact with the other team. I did look up detaining and I thought it said the defensive player had to make contact with the ball carrier. I asked for an explanation from the field ref and he said the penalty is for anytime a defender doesn’t let the player go by them. However the offensive player was basically standing still from the defense. Could I get a explanation about this rule so I can teach my kids differently.


Thank you,


John Jette


Franklin U11 Blue coach

If your players were holding their position and not forcing or detaining the opponent via stick or body then they have been defending with good positioning - good job coach! Defensive players are entitled to their space as well as any offensive player which also leads to the opposing calls of charging/blocking. In detaining, a player may not hold, tag, press, or push against a player an opponents body, clothing, or cross - Remember, the definition of a player's body position is defined as the space around her body to include the distance of her arms outstretched. Players may not extend their cross or body beyond this specified distance in order to impede and opponent.